The Application Process, together with the orientation/formation program, ensures that you are sufficiently prepared to head to your mission site and do the best job they can.
The application process is one of mutual discernment: we are trying to discover with you whether our program is right for you and vice versa. Through the process, we also try to learn enough about you to find a placement in which you can use the unique gifts that you have been blessed with.
Once the Preliminary Application has been submitted and you are clear to continue with the application process, you will need to:
- Complete the Formal Application
- 3 letters of reference (forms provided)
- Medical form/exam to be completed by a physician and driving record. We do not need to receive these materials before your interview, but we will consider them as a part of the application process.
- Phone interview
- Attend one of 3 discernment weekends. During the weekend, you will get the chance to hear from returned SLMs, learn more about the SLM program and who the Salesians are, and you will also get the chance to see what Salesian spirituality is all about!
- Attend orientation. During this time you learn more about the Salesians and the methodologies of Don Bosco, spend a week living/working with the Salesians at one of their sites, study various aspects of inculturation, and spend a week on retreat with the Salesians. SLMs return home after orientation and depart for their mission shortly thereafter.